Job questions - need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_net

So im changing jobs. Ive been going through interviews recently and here's the situation.

I have an offer from a company in Vancouver. Job is cool, pay is decent (more than im making now by 7K). They pay for relocation up to 2K.
Thing is they want a decision by next Tuesday...

I have an interview scheduled next Tuesday with another company - here in MTL. This job could also potentially be very interesting... But i know they will take like 2 weeks to make a decision.

Ideally i want the company in Vancouver to give me more time to make my decision... How do i play it? What do i say?

Thanks guys:bigup:

Tell them you are awaiting a reply from different companies in the Montreal area that have expressed interest in you. Furthermore, tell them you are not an impulsive person and that you like to think things out.

This can't hurt you; in fact, it will simply make them love you more. You will show them you are being sought after by numerous companies and that you are a wise person that does not make haste decisions.

Good luck! :)

7k more? hope you're making good cash (absolute minimum 50-60k) - my sister lives in vancouver, cost of living is pretty high but its a beautiful province..
if you can keep your costs down (getting roomies, etc..) could be a great experience - the location is awesome, she heads down to California, Seattle... often

7k more? hope you're making good cash (absolute minimum 50-60k) - my sister lives in vancouver, cost of living is pretty high but its a beautiful province..
if you can keep your costs down (getting roomies, etc..) could be a great experience - the location is awesome, she heads down to California, Seattle... often

x2. Basically what I was going to say.

7k isnt really a "raise" it's more of the same pay since that around what the increase on cost of living out there is. If you move up within the company, then forsure do it. But you'll be ditching everything you've got here in Montreal to basically get a 'fresh start' in a different location. (which you probably already know)

I personally would jump on it right away. Then again to each their own ;)

Tell them you are awaiting a reply from different companies in the Montreal area that have expressed interest in you. Furthermore, tell them you are not an impulsive person and that you like to think things out.

This can't hurt you; in fact, it will simply make them love you more. You will show them you are being sought after by numerous companies and that you are a wise person that does not make haste decisions.

Agreed. I guess they're trying to lock me up before any other companies can :p

Initially they said that "company policy" is two days but i told her I had an interview on tues, and she said ok we can extend it until tuesday.

well its in Richmond - not too far from Vancouver. I make around that so should be able to survive.

what if they force my hand and say "we need a decision asap, if youre not interested then were gonna move on to the next candidate"

Ive also thought of asking to talk to my direct supervisor and asking some questions over the phone. that should buy me a little more time.

i hate playing these fcukin games with company HR people...

Richmond is pretty much vancouver and the skytrain and transit system in vancouver is light years ahead of montreal... You are a 12 hour drive from cali :D and it doesnt rain as much as everyone says it does, If you like the water, vancouver is right on the ocean, tons of boating, sailing, etc. I live in the mountains about 2 hours north of vancouver, and I must say quality of life here is amazing. I guess its a different mentality out west! I say do it!

well its in Richmond - not too far from Vancouver. I make around that so should be able to survive.

yea i did realize that it was about 15 hours to San Fran... which is VERY tempting!

Mobman, have you lived in Montreal also? How would you rate the two cities in terms of:
1. Cost of living
2. People
3. Nightlife
4. Taxes
5. Weather

thanks!!

I have lived in Montreal most of my life, never in vancouver, as stated above, I live 2 hours north, in Whistler.

Rent is more expensive out here, but all the places are nice/well taken care of.
I find the people in vancouver might be a bit friendlier, but its still a major city, so there is the hussle and everyones always running around to get somewhere or do something... cost of food, clothes, etc is all the same

Nightlife is awesome, depending what you like, I am more into underground parties and havent explored the club scene much. there are raves out in the woods all the time around here, not to mention huge festivals like pemberton fest, shambhala, soundwave, etc...

Taxes are a ton better than in quebec. I pay about half as much in taxes as I did in Quebec(no joke!!!) To register and insure a car all goes through the same company, and it ends up costing less as well.... however the price of cars are ridiculous out here, maybe its cause rust is nonexistant?

winters are very mild in vancouver, summers are nice, they say allot of rain, but its been one of the dryest summers in a long time!

There are also lots of cheaps flights to california for under 120$ taxes included, which end up being cheaper than driving!

I would pick living in Van anyday over mtl... but at the same time I would pick where I am now over both cities in a heartbeat!

yea i did realize that it was about 15 hours to San Fran... which is VERY tempting!

Mobman, have you lived in Montreal also? How would you rate the two cities in terms of:
1. Cost of living
2. People
3. Nightlife
4. Taxes
5. Weather

thanks!!

Mobman

can you be a bit more specific
for example how much does rent cost for a regular 4 1/2 (nothing fancy but not getto either). How much is the gas?

How are income taxes, why do you say you get taxed half compred to Quebec. For a salary of 40K for exemple, how much is it left net?

How's the job market? Is it easy to find 50k + jobs?

I live in a nice 2 story townhouse with 2 parking spots, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a loft, living room, full kitchen with all appliance, washer dryer, dishwasher, satellite, internet, power, etc for 1533 $ a month(1933$ winter.) Vancouver is similar in the upper class neighborhoods.

Craigslist is your best bet to see what your looking for and what suits you, lol..

Gas in Whistler is 1.42 now....about 10 cents more in Vancouver usually.

I work 18 hrs a week, and on a 396$ paycheck, I clear 347, There is only federal tax..Most of my income is cash though, so I cant help you more than that.

Job market all depends what you do, There are loggers out here that make upwards of 80,000 a year. I know people working in call centres or shopping malls etc in the city making between 10-20$ an hour, I guess I cant really answer that one.

Mobman

can you be a bit more specific
for example how much does rent cost for a regular 4 1/2 (nothing fancy but not getto either). How much is the gas?

How are income taxes, why do you say you get taxed half compred to Quebec. For a salary of 40K for exemple, how much is it left net?

How's the job market? Is it easy to find 50k + jobs?

im still debating... I talked to the HR lady last night and she upped the Relocation package to 3K... but said the salary was fixed and not-negotiable - even after i told her vancouver was 30% more expensive than mtl.

im gonna call her back tomorrow and ask her for more time. these HR bastards are really pushy though!!

Do you have a wife and kids? If not then go right now. WHo cares about the money or the increase in living expenses, this is great oportunity and if you don't go when you are young, you will not be able to because of the wife and kids when the day comes. Just go, stop being so worried about everything.

no wife or kids. i care about the money and living expenses!!! yes it is a great oppportunity, BUT i do have look at a few factors. cant just blindly walk into a job...

well actually i want more time cuz i'm expecting another offer by the end of this week. and then i want to evaluate both.

i have to take into account what the job is like too... am not gonna go to vancouver for a janitor job lol

LOL! i didnt apply for a janitor job... i was just trying to make a point that if theres another job thats a lot better in montreal (not just $$, but the job itself) then i have to take that.

At the moment, I have 2 offers. One in MTL and one in VAN. The VAN job is MUCH better than the mtl job, but im awaiting response on another job (also in mtl) which is really cool. If they make me an offer for that then I have to choose between these two jobs...

So you really only have 1 job offer worth mentioning since the one in Montreal is less interesting with less money.

For the other Montreal job, do you have any idea what it's about? If not, how did they present it to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back