NEED SOME FEEDBACK: looking to buy 2004 A4 V6

DRock

Legacy Member
hi,

looking to get some feedback from the Audi community here..

I am in the process of potentially buying a 2004 A4 V6.

here are the specs

2004 A4 V6
black/black
128,000kms ( pretty good for 2004)
automatic
never accidented etc..

overall shape looks to be quite good.. exterior 8/10 interior 8/10
the car needs to have timing belt and water pump done, which the owner will get done before hand.

I am going to test drive it today.

this would be my first Audi.. as a secondary + winter car.

however from what I read this model/year is plagued with continuous maintenance.

I assume the V6 is better then the 1.8T in terms of maintenance/reliability etc....?

anyways.. other then getting a fresh timing belt and water pump.. are there any other sure things that will fail or need to be done, other then regular maintenance, such as oil changes, brakes etc..

I actually prefer this body over the more recent body.. personally I find its a nicer shape..

anyways the price that im working on the owner is quite good.. and includes the belt/pump done.

I just dont want to get into a money pit with this car.. regular maintenance is only normal, but if im doing $1000++ garage visits every 6months, is something I would prefer to avoid..

all feedback appreciated..!

Last edited:
"I assume the V6 is better then the 1.8T in terms of maintenance/reliability etc....?"

I would go with the 1.8T to be honest. You are able to do way more down the road, bigger turbo, chip, gas efficiency etc.

B6 1.8T & B7 2.0T cars are great & reliable.

hi,

much appreciate the feedback. but have no intention modifying the car, with a chip or bigger turbo etc..
this is strictly a daily driver for winter, and 50/50 in the summer with my 350Z.

ive had a chance to test drive the car now, and drives quite nice, I like thats its the V6.
and im having it inspected a VAG today actually, just to be safe. but as mentioned I already know the timing belt and water pump need to be done.

im really looking if there are for certain issues/problems I may encounter with this car, other then regular maintanence etc..

Common annoying issues on the B6's (found on both 1.8T and V6 models) are window regulators, heater cores clogging, control arm bushings, glove box hinges, centre arm rest, sunroof clips. I'm probably forgetting more.

Rust will usually appear near the bottom door trims and where the bumpers join the body. Front wheel arches. Since it's a 2004 you still got 2 years left with Audi's corrosion warranty though.

Back