Please disable adblock while browsing MR

@Danny_ITR

The main idea of installing AdBlock is to avoid seeing ads. Technically speaking, that means the user isn't interested in Ads and it is irrelevant trying to force him into watching them. I'm sure the people advertising on your website aren't happy with you spending their budget showing their ads to an irrelevant audience. Your strategy is totally wrong and goes against the mindset of online advertising.

Imagine being forced to watch all the commercials while watching a recorded tv-show on your PVR. You'd probably last a few days, cancel your service and go with another distribution company that doesn't force you into watching irrelevant ads. Not to mention it would directly affect ratings and put the advertisers against the service provider.

Your example isn't correct. Website ads don't interrupt the consumption of content as they do with the television. The television program stops for 3 min to show you commercials. The PVR example is also not applicable because let's say you want to watch a hockey game live, the PVR doesn't help you avoid ads. The price you pay for skipping the hockey game is not watching it live. And even then, often you forget to fast forward and you wind up seeing the ads.

Weather you intend to look at them or not is irrelevant. I don't intend to watch the commercials but occasionally something catches my eye. Banner advertisers know the average click through rates and they reflect the amount that people interact with the ads and how much the ads go for.

There are only two types of viable online business models.

1) Paywall. This means you don't see the content of the website unless you pay a monthly fee. This model works for some news sites but not car websites.
2) Free but supported with banner ads. This is the current model of MontrealRacing. If all users blocked the ads, there would be no MR. Using adblock makes the website business model unsustainable.

I'm asking that users kindly not use adblock because it harms the website. As I said before I've disablde the intrusive image ads and will remain with 2-3 ad units per page as we have since 2008 with an effect on load time of about 1.5 seconds per page load. I beleive it's a reasonable non intrusive trade off.

My "strategy" is akin to preventing people from sneaking into a car show for free. You could argue that the more people at the show, the more successful it is. I don't think any car shows would accept your reasoning because it would be allowing people to consume their product for free.

Are people promoting the show paying to get in?this is what people line Castro are doing, so why should they care about your advertisement?

Active members aren't lurkers, they bring you more views, thus more money.

Last edited:
@ DannyITR
Is there any intend to improve the loading time? here it is about 3sec per page (without pictures)

personally, I don't mind that much the ads; but I HATE loading time.

I don't mind about the ads at all, I don't even notice them but the loading time is painful, feels like i'm back at 56k modem lol

Car show sneaking? Stop trying to convince us, thats what your pretending to be doing. Without us in here ''making', the show , your only hosting an empty field and you add are worthless. Charge me 30$ year subscription ill gladly pay it and remove all the adds in here....

You wont do it, why? Adds will make more profit in YOUR Pocket then the 30$x XXXXX people per year. But people tired of you add/pop-up , you dont really care as long as your ''income'' dont suffer

@ DannyITR
Is there any intend to improve the loading time? here it is about 3sec per page (without pictures)

i actually offered a dedicated hosting solution in montreal for a low price. But I don't think it's in his priorities right now. I too, find the loading times quite awful. :/

Car show sneaking? Stop trying to convince us, thats what your pretending to be doing. Without us in here ''making', the show , your only hosting an empty field and you add are worthless.

just like every car show out there... The poeple exposing their rides make the show, although, they usually still pay their exposing fees...

@Danny_ITR

The main idea of installing AdBlock is to avoid seeing ads. Technically speaking, that means the user isn't interested in Ads and it is irrelevant trying to force him into watching them. I'm sure the people advertising on your website aren't happy with you spending their budget showing their ads to an irrelevant audience. Your strategy is totally wrong and goes against the mindset of online advertising.

So the entire business model depends on clicks. What if someone never clicks?

You guys don't understand the internet. Having ads on a page generate revenues, whether you are interested in them or not, regardless if you click on them or not, even if you dont look at them, EACH ad display is generating revenu. The more you have on a page the more revenu you make.

It is the ONLY way to make money on "page views" from users who browse the site FOR FREE. Other ways are paid subscription for added benefits like Premmy or Sponsors.

Traule, the strategy works, people are getting rich everyday on free sites with ads. Think 9gag and Reddit for example. Users create the content, the site is used as a platform to "publish" each user's content for free and the site makes money with ads on page views.

Yes, Ad Block is killing this strategy. No it should not affect the site's life because hosting fees are ridiculous.

No one here would host a site with the monthly views of MR and not put up ads to make money off of it, stop lying to yourselves.

J ai Add block disable sur MR depuis toujours.

Mais J ai disabler tout qui est image (ca parrai mieu a job) et active seullement quand il le faut.

Fak Dany a du cash et moi je voix zero Ads.

Win win.

@ DannyITR

As a matter of fact yes. I'll be switching hosting companies yet again next week and going with someone new who thinks (just like every other server dude) he knows what it takes to run a site with this amount of traffic. So far I have yet to meet anyone who is capable. Lots of people who think they know but when they try they are totally unprepared.

I figure the least I can do ensure a fast site and hopefully people will remove Adblock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just like every car show out there... The poeple exposing their rides make the show, although, they usually still pay their exposing fees...

Last time I went to a car show, there were judges and prizes. Unless things have changed since those days (wich were a f* long time ago), you just can't compare both this way.

As a matter of fact yes. I'll be switching hosting companies yet again next week and going with someone new who thinks (just like every other server dude) he knows what it takes to run a site with this amount of traffic. So far I have yet to meet anyone who is capable. Lots of people who think they know but when they try they are totally unprepared.

I figure the least I can do ensure a fast site and hopefully people will remove Adblock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have people on your own forum that know what they're doing when it comes to web hosting... Don't need to look far imo...

I am sure Altivec knows what he's doing and so does Flames, not sure they want to deal with this though.

And as for your carshow analogy... On a carshow, people bring their cars to advertise their products or their work to promote their business. The show's host stacks up the cash in entrance fees because that's what it takes to get public display for the show's participants/companies on display. On THIS FORUM, people bring the content, like me, like every other poster in this thread. The forum population is THE reason you are generating monthly views and are able to cash in on advertising. However, it is YOU who is cashing it all in, and the people who actually bring the traffic get absolutely nothing in return. Now you've decided to bite the feeding hand and had the nerve to tell people what to do with their computer, aka remove adblock.

We all know that the revenue generated by the sponsor fees alone can cover the hosting fees, and it has been thoroughly put in digits by several other members in this thread.

I honestly think you are a crook that just can't get enough. And I don't say it to be publicly insulting you or get attention. It is just the feeling I have been getting from every single one of those choices you make to handle things.

DannyITR, I'll look at your ads if they aren't annoying.

adblock_non_intrusive.png

For those who use Chrome and want to get rid of that popup dialog box, take a look here: How to prevent a dialog box from opening in Google Chrome?.

While Danny may have handled this situation totally wrong and some may see him as a dirty douchenozzle... You have to be fair to him. So what he is making money with the site... He fuckin started it, he can do whatever the fuck he wants. If he so happens to desire to live off of this, it's his so he can and it should not be held against him.

I don't see him claiming this site is a non-profit organization and that the money generated by the site is just about enough to cover the costs of hosting it and paying idiots to redesign it once in a while.

It is a for profit company that he is running and he should not be told how to run his website. He made a bad decision after a bunch of people, including me, strongly suggested not going in that direction and now he has a community who's core is split between people raging and others supporting.

If some of us are tired of it, well, let's start a new community with different ways of running things and that's it. But if you guys are not going to do shit to change well what's the point of going on 30 pages with this shit.

I have a vps server located in Netherlands with more than enough bandwidth and storage space. I would be more than glad to host a community for free until it requires it's own server which my current company could provide for sure. P. S for those Curious, I pay 60$ a month for 20TB of bandwidth and 320gb of storage and a very decent machine. And its managed.

That being said, I can guarantee nobody is going to message me like "hey man, we're 50 core users, let's make it happen, let's move" because MR is already home and people Simply like to complain.

So either stop complaining, gather your troops and gtfo or start supporting danny whether he decides to impose shitty ads or not.

I think this thread has gone way too far. Time to move on.

And Danny, it's up to you to figure out how to monetize your traffic. You stand to win much more in the long run by doing your homework. Ad block should not be a threat to your source of income for the site. Get more sponsors, host movie night at your place for members and charge 5$...wtv...but if you need to start guilting people Into helping you... Something is fundamentally wrong imo.

Back