Using corporate hotel codes

bassACE

Legacy Member
Just looking to get the personal opinion of others who also travel frequently for work...

Some colleagues of mine often use corporate hotel discount codes (belonging to other companies) when travelling for work. It seems its common knowledge and practice not just in this company, but others as well!
I'm staying at a Delta/Mariott tonight and asked around for codes to try this myself, after seeing how awesome it was last time when one of them booked for me. No one had codes for this chain, so instead I googled to find some codes.

Lo and behold, within seconds I found a recent page with dozens, if not hundreds, of codes for Delta/Mariott hotels and their associated companies. I tried one on the hotel's booking page and was amazed to see the savings!

Now, my question is for those of you who do this, how often to they ask for ID ? Is this a bad idea?

I travel quite a bit for work and we do have corporate rates at most hotel/hotel chains. When I travel for leisure, I do ask for the corporate rate and get it even though I reserve and pay with my personnal CC. And even if on the phone they tell you they need to see proof that you actually work for the company when you check in, never not once did anyone check.

This reminds me of my first trip to Arizona... This guy at the rental company asks me if I want to upgrade to a convertible, I say sure but only is it's x$ more a day.

He then says: you work for Microsoft right? I'm like huhhh? He's like, yeah you do... It's a total of x$ for you sir.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I always use my corpo code when I can, I can book leisure with it but I never get asked for my work ID card (altough I bring it since it specifies on some reservations that I need proof of work like an ID card...)

You book online and you put the corporate code in the discount box? I will try it for sure

I use corporate codes for business and personal travel. For hotel and car rentals. I've never been asked to shown any proof. With car rentals you can often compound the corporate codes with other promos...

Moi j'appel pour réservé et je demande le tarif corporatif pour la grosse telco ou banque du coins.

Genre a quebec tu dis que tu travail pour desjardins, pis boom, 50$ off par nuit.

Ca marche pas si ta ta blonde pis 2 kid avec toi par contre.

Je booke juste les gros hôtels avec des points ou si il y a des promotions, sinon fuck it, rbnb.

Some of you got it easy. Whenever i ask for a discount, they always wanna see id and get the nunber on the back of the card. This hotel even asked me to show a proof of posting message so she would allow me to have the discount during the weekend lol

So just an update... I got home last night and I have to say... not once was I asked about the corporate code I entered online to book and get the savings. In no way shape or form did they reference it!

10/10 will do again.

Used a corporate code from my girlfriend's company but using my name. They inquired to show proof that I work there. My girlfriend had to show a Christmas party work invite on her emails as proof.
Anyways, they may ask but the proof required isn't significant.

Side note, get the Marriott Visa card for travels. There isn't an additional fee on foreign currency so you are able to use your credit card with just the current exchange rate. This means you save from bank and currency exchange places admin charges. Also, the points add up fast and you will be given free night stays at participating hotels.

So just an update... I got home last night and I have to say... not once was I asked about the corporate code I entered online to book and get the savings. In no way shape or form did they reference it!

10/10 will do again.

They truly don't care, there are not under cost and they get your business. Win/win/win.

Try to stick with one hotel brand/chain and book through the phone. I know calling someone sounds crazy but rates through telephone booking are often better than online.. They will also see you book failure often and will give you the corp code right away plus whatever upgrade. I love using BS discount codes on car rentals, they DO NOT care for the most part. What the computer says is what they roll with. Also for hotwire you can sorta figure out the hotel based on what better bidding says, just start calling the hotels directly

It's happened once while traveling with my friend who was asked to show his Air Canada ID at Sheraton in Toronto. Even we were like ha, that's a first

I got upgraded to a really nice suite overlooking central park while in NYC because I was wearing a BMW Jacket.. The guy is like oh you're with BMW right?

I do it ALL THE TIME. Even some ridiculous stuff like using a jewish association code for a car rental (hint: my name doesn't sound jewish).

The only time it didnt work was when using a Hertz employee code for a car rental here in Montreal. They ended up giving me another discount that was almost as good. But using the Hertz employee discount code in Europe worked without problem.

In the end no one really cares...

Back