5K Daily driver or project car.. I need ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it seems common on the S70 (read it on some reviews). The ad I saw seemed to come from a dealer so there has got to be some sort of warranty or something.
Aside from that, how is the reliability of the car?
150$ for one table does sound kind of expensive.. Can the prices really be different than a Benz? Oil I'm not really surprised and such. I'm used to 6 liters of synthetic oil every couple months. :D

Now one other car that just popped in my mind was the MK1 MR2 (SC/t-top). The mid-engine/RWD setup sounds very tempting. Is it true that the mid-engine would be a lot more expensive to fix?
(sorry, I know it's getting to alot of questions but I want as many ideas as possible. Hopefully someone else can one day use this thread too!)

Dealers don't have to give warranty's on the used cars they sell.

Good luck finding a rust free MK1 MR2 locally or even from most US states. A clean one still fetchs a high price. They aren't that hard to work on but can be a pain.

IMO stay away from older cars, you are better off finding something a lot newer.

Have you thought about a Z31 300zx (1984-1989), you can get a REALLY CLEAN one for about 5k, never winter driven, (usually). Get the non turbo one, then swap a VG30ET in it. You can get all the parts needed for about 900$ and that will get you around 260hp and as much torque.

As for the suspension, you can adapt coilovers made for an S13 relatively easily if you know how to weld. Weight distribution is 51F/49R. Only downside is that it weighs 3163lbs so it takes a lot of power to be fast.

Go to www.redz31.com for more information regarding engine/suspension mods

Haven't thought about it. A slight bit expensive because of their demand but I'll add them.. thanks!

Dealers don't have to give warranty's on the used cars they sell.

Good luck finding a rust free MK1 MR2 locally or even from most US states. A clean one still fetchs a high price. They aren't that hard to work on but can be a pain.

IMO stay away from older cars, you are better off finding something a lot newer.

I know but aren't they supposed to tell me everything that's wrong with the car prior to selling it to me? and then if anything goes wrong I have a couple weeks to return it... I'm not sure. Never bought a car from there. I'll have to look into it.

Yeah, I've noticed that about MR2s. MK2 still fetch prices like 7K for a decent one, too. Well, I'll keep an eye open for them nonetheless. There's a few interesting ones in Cali.. the mid-engine sounds great though.

As for newer cars.. yeah, I know. It's just that I don't find anything that really interests me that is recent and won't cost 10K with another 3K of insurance a year. :run: The builds of older cars is also really different than the newer more 'basic' or small cars as well.

Have you thought about a Z31 300zx (1984-1989), you can get a REALLY CLEAN one for about 5k, never winter driven, (usually). Get the non turbo one, then swap a VG30ET in it. You can get all the parts needed for about 900$ and that will get you around 260hp and as much torque.

As for the suspension, you can adapt coilovers made for an S13 relatively easily if you know how to weld. Weight distribution is 51F/49R. Only downside is that it weighs 3163lbs so it takes a lot of power to be fast.

Go to www.redz31.com for more information regarding engine/suspension mods

I thought about it. I have a friend in TX that has a Z32. He only swears by that car. It's just that for me it's a pretty heavy car.. The digital dash and voice (or so I've heard) is really nice but aside from it, the gas consumption of the engine and the tight engine bay always threw me off. Have to admit that a 3.0T is kinda big. Speaking of which, I just saw this ad today: [url]http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-under-5K-Nissan-300Zx-1986-W0QQAdIdZ30066518[/URL] Might be interesting.. I'll have to think about it some more I guess.
Thanks to all three of you guys!

how about this? take the 5.0 badges off and can you say SLEEPER??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volv...020QQitemZ300174084472QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

1c07_1.JPG

2283_1.JPG

bro, I got a FACKING good Idea for you.

How about a 1995 Mazda Millenia V6 2.5L . You can easily swap the KLDE engine for a KLZE (200hp on the spot), then there are ALOT of parts for this engine (Turbo kits, etc...) And then for the looks you got 2-3 nice body kits on the internet, relatively clean nothing too wild.

400HP SEDAN FTW

PS: I'm selling mine, I got a EGR sensor to change, nothing else, I'm selling it 5500$ on Kijiji but it's negociable, I can definitly give you a good price. Holler at a player if you're interested!

how about this? take the 5.0 badges off and can you say SLEEPER??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volv...020QQitemZ300174084472QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

1c07_1.JPG

2283_1.JPG

Nice car but not quite my type.. First time I ever see that kind of crossbreed. Thanks :bigup:

bro, I got a FACKING good Idea for you.

How about a 1995 Mazda Millenia V6 2.5L . You can easily swap the KLDE engine for a KLZE (200hp on the spot), then there are ALOT of parts for this engine (Turbo kits, etc...) And then for the looks you got 2-3 nice body kits on the internet, relatively clean nothing too wild.

400HP SEDAN FTW

PS: I'm selling mine, I got a EGR sensor to change, nothing else, I'm selling it 5500$ on Kijiji but it's negociable, I can definitly give you a good price. Holler at a player if you're interested!

Not bad, I just saw the ad. The car looks nice but not my type. It's on the other 'side of what I wanted, FWD and auto. Nor do I have the money right now. Thanks for the offer though.
You're going for the Benz in the end or you're thinking about something else? :dunno:

Nice car but not quite my type.. First time I ever see that kind of crossbreed. Thanks :bigup:

Not bad, I just saw the ad. The car looks nice but not my type. It's on the other 'side of what I wanted, FWD and auto. Nor do I have the money right now. Thanks for the offer though.
You're going for the Benz in the end or you're thinking about something else? :dunno:

Thanks bro, nah I'm thinking of getting something relatively cheap on gas (civic) because I do alot of mileage. But I'll get a Civic SEDAN that's for sure lol, you'll never catch me in a hatchback :D

Thanks bro, nah I'm thinking of getting something relatively cheap on gas (civic) because I do alot of mileage. But I'll get a Civic SEDAN that's for sure lol, you'll never catch me in a hatchback :D

Haha nice. Civics are nice cars.. I remember my mom had one once. I ended up slamming it in a tree when I was a kid though... :run::D
Ever considered diesel if you do a lot of mileage? Might be good. :bigup:

svtcobra2003: Merci pour l'offre mais presentement je suis vraiment au stade des idees et les hondas tournes vraiment haut pour moi.

TheNewGuy143: Merci aussi mais comme je viens de dire, au idees maintenant..

for 6000$ get a Vr6 Golf

you wont regret............................

VW is popping back in my hand. I'm leaning more toward diesel though. But I'm still scared about the electrics.. I'll post something in the VW section.

I think my main problem is that I want to change the car I currently have for something better, not equal. Y'know? I'm screwed. :run::p

Cé une mauvaise réputation, il ont un peu plus de probleme électrique mais il en ont pas tous. Tout les chars on des problemes anywaiss. Pis un Vr6 sa marche pis le son est sick. So get a vr6

Cé une mauvaise réputation, il ont un peu plus de probleme électrique mais il en ont pas tous. Tout les chars on des problemes anywaiss. Pis un Vr6 sa marche pis le son est sick. So get a vr6

Je sais.. mais en tout cas, jusqu'a maintenant j'ai jamais trouver un mecano qui m'a pas dit de ne pas toucher au 2000+ car ce sont des vrais cauchemar electrique.
Par contre pour le VR6 sa peut etre une idee mais comme j'ai dit plus haut, je veux changer pour mieux (plus rapide, meilleur tenue). J'ai 150hp au roue arriere et le VR a 170 au roue avant je pense, non? C'est pas asser.. et il boit beacoup plus d'essence que le mien. Sans offence mais au bang for the buck, je pense pas que ce soit la meilleur solution pour moi personellement. Si je retourne VW je pense au diesel... :bigup:

5000$ tu veut une voiture en bonne shape, a ce que je voit p-e possiblement 2000 et +
plus de 170 hp
avec une bonne tenue et rapide...........
Ishhh jvoit pas trop sérieusement....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back