E46 M3 or B6 S4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a really nice S4 in imola yellow at the Laval dealer. 28k @3.9% over 72 months. under 500$ tax in. with 2 yr warranty. (long ass term but may help with your cash flow) http://www.hebdo.net/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=1612672&pgno=1&srt=7&r=quebec

like this:

i.audi.S4.yellow.teagardens.sun.JPG

I'm undergoing the same decision as you. My budget is about the same.
I find in that price range you get 04 S4 B6 or 03 E46 M3.
I even found an 05 B6 S4 with 100K km for 22-23K but it's automatic :(
But M3's are more expensive to purchase, for the same price you get a more recent S4 with perhaps some warranty left compared to an older M3 with no more warranty.
All in all, i'll see you soon i suppose, but don't know which of us will be in an S4 or the M3!

Munchy, if you like to drive hard, the M3 hands down. There is no comparison in handling. The S4 is a nice looking car no doubt, but it is a much more relaxed car, for someone who likes to feel some torque once in a while. The M3 is a real driving machine.

Both cars have sick interiors, but I like the M3 driving position better.

It depends what you're looking for. Razor sharp handling, sick power curve and sporty interior, M3. Comfortable, relaxed and AWD? S4. That's my opinion.

up to 2001 = S4 has a twin turbo 2.7 V6
2002+ = S4 had the 4.2 V8

the b5 had the 2.7 bi turbo
the b6 has the 4.2 (i think the b5 and b6 is where the confusion was)

and not all s4's up to 2001 had a 2.7.

from 1992 - 1994(rebadged the s6 as of 94) it came with a 2.2l 5 cyl turbo (which i know first hand, is a great car!)

I own both. One question I had to ask myself is: Drive all season?

Yes. S4
No. M3

All has been said by Gregster. Insurance side, it is about the same. S4 was $1200 and M3 is $1300.

On a final note to Gregster; How much for the Stoptech BBK? PM me please

I'd go with the S4 even if I prefer the look and drivability (does that exist? anyways)

It's all about how you like to drive and how much you want to spend.. winter will cost you much more with an M than an S..

sometimes I wich I'd bought a used M3 or S4 instead of my SI.. but the handling is still amazing so I'm keeping it for now.

I don't get why everyone considers the M3 to be a hardcore sports car.

It's a fun GT car, not a sports car.

Super easy to drive, and you'd have to be a total douche bag to not be able to drive it in winter.

It doesn't have ''razor sharp handling'' and super stiff suspension. It's not a Lotus Elise. It's not a Toyota Camry, but it's super comfortable.

Just drive both cars back to back.

i think ill go either way, its pretty much down to what's available at the right price

if anyone finds an S4 in brilliant red, let me know! there was one at holand leasing but it just dissapeared off the site like a week or 2 ago...

Munchy, if you like to drive hard, the M3 hands down. There is no comparison in handling. The S4 is a nice looking car no doubt, but it is a much more relaxed car, for someone who likes to feel some torque once in a while. The M3 is a real driving machine.

Both cars have sick interiors, but I like the M3 driving position better.

It depends what you're looking for. Razor sharp handling, sick power curve and sporty interior, M3. Comfortable, relaxed and AWD? S4. That's my opinion.

whatever car I get, I'll come see you :D

although i absolutely love the b6 s4, i would choose m3...brakes, exhaust with oem rims/suspension

you just wont get bored of it

haha if you think the bmw M3 isn't a sports car then there's something wrong with you

it does have razor sharp handling (esp if you compare it to an audi), but I guess the susp could be stiffer

that being said, if you're looking for a more all-year performing comfortable car, get the audi,

but I would get an m3 in a heartbeat if I could afford one

Dude, we had this discussion multiple times. It’s great that people are giving you their "opinions" (like it matters what most of these fanboys say) on these two money pits, but the bottom line is that you’re going to be purchasing 1 of 2 unreliable cars that have been used and abused. To maintain these two glorified POS's your going to be paying a lot on parts and labour. Save yourself from future headaches and loss of funds by buying a STI/EVO, stock they are superior to the S4, and then just spend $800 dollars on an ECU tune and the M3 will be left behind.

What about when the STi breaks? They aren't cheaper to fix in most cases more expensive. Either way you slice it an STi/EVO has been used and abused. What about when the EVO breaks? You'll have to wait for parts since it was a car never sold in Canada. Go look up prices for a brake job on both these cars and the timing belt change on the STi.

I have a nice seized stock IHI turbo from an STi sitting on my work bench. I'd be very concerned about buying an older STi that doesn't have a properly good service history...

Back up statements with facts over fanboyism... You are comparing 2 totally different classes of car. The S4 and M3 are GT cars. Meaning luxury, comfort and performance. The STi and EVO are boy racer cars.. Flashy looks, Mediorce interiors and a giant wing in the rear view mirror. These 2 cars are toys. You don't see me commenting on the S4 because I don't have much experience around them

Munchy asked a question "E46 M3 or S4". He wanted to know the pros and cons. Like usual you decided to come in and bash the cars.. cars that you have no experience around. Although I'm sure you will make up some wacky story just to bash with more ignorant statements.

I've lived with the E46 M3 and so have many of my friends. Very reliable and very fun to drive. The last of a breed...

and then just spend $800 dollars on an ECU tune and the M3 will be left behind.

So, taking an ugly bitch and slamming a 5,000$ pair of tits on it is better than a pron star?

Me doesn't think so. Power is not everything. Balance is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back