E46 M3 or B6 S4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an STI racecar, my best friend has an e46 m3 for a year now and coworker has a b6 s4... maybe I can give my 2 cents...

Maintenance:

None is cheap here, STI front brakes are more expensive than the 2 others but none of them has civic brakes either. M3 has to be the most reliable of the bunch ( for someone that drives hard it's unbelievable how that car is made to drive it like you stole it ) but it'll cost you a lot in tires. Parts for the s4 are cheaper but it's always breaking.

Power:

Stock : M3 is fastest, STI behind and S4 last
Boltons : M3 with headers beats STI with turboback and tune, S4 still has a boring engine and is last

Handling : M3 is by far the best stock but add suspension and some goodies (suspension arms and the likes) and STI can be good. S4 is too nose heavy, power steering overheats and lacks tire to be any good on the track.

Brakes : All decent but really need a set of pads to be good for any hard useage.

Confort : S4 has no pretention of being sporty so it is the most confortable, m3 close behind with IMHO better ergonomics. STI is WAY behind on this part.

Winter: M3 and STI and the most fun and s4 the most effective.

I agree with the handling, comfort and power parts, but as for breaking parts, all I've ever replaced is one coil pack. And not once has it ever even hesitated to start at any temperature.

based on VwAlex's post as an sti owner, i think munchy gets a pretty clear picture that your posts just makes you look retarded

No, i think you not understanding the meaning behind my posts makes you look retarded........and owning a VW as well...............*tu*

thats beside the point, i own a volkswagen now doesnt mean i prefer it over an STI or EVO
the TDI just fits my budget within my criteria considering i dont pay for diesel fuel (guess that makes me retarded)

you realize not one person in this thread agrees with your opinion? not even STI owners

The Fail in this thread is at a all time high. God i love fanboys!

Anyhow, anyone who has a spec of intelligence would not purchase a S4 or M3, since these two cars are the pinnacle of german garbage.

No car is perfect you moron.

The M3 has a horrible feeling transmission. The STI feels tighter like most Jap trannies.

But when I sit in an STI I feel like I'm sitting in a TRUCK because of the crappy seating position. It just doesn't feel like a sports car at all. The M3 has a much better driving position.

Both cars have strenghts and weaknesses, it's stupid to say one car is garabge and the other is ''epic''.

My car has crappy power before 4000RPMs. But the handling is near perfect. Hey you can't have everything.

And why is an M3 garbage? Because of the sound it makes at 8000RPMs with all ITBs making the engine sing? Because of the timeless looks that makes the new M3 look as boring and bland as any regular 3 series?

E46 M3 is faster than a stock STI, it's 10X more comfortabe, 10X better looking, more luxurious, has a freaking sunroof, sounds better, and I wouldn't be ashamed to go meet a client in one.

STI has great steering, shifting and the torque is fun. It grips well but you sit so high in them it feels like they are going to tip over....and the new 2008 STI are as entertaining as a Toyota Camry with shit steering feel.

2005-2007 STIs are nice, but they aern't freaking perfect.

atleast explain why you think the s4 and m3 are such over-glorified german pieces of shit

reliability? like someone here once said, driving a car for its reliability is like dating a chick for her punctuality...
even though m3 is very "punctual"

No car is perfect you moron.

The M3 has a horrible feeling transmission. The STI feels tighter like most Jap trannies.

But when I sit in an STI I feel like I'm sitting in a TRUCK because of the crappy seating position. It just doesn't feel like a sports car at all. The M3 has a much better driving position.

Both cars have strenghts and weaknesses, it's stupid to say one car is garabge and the other is ''epic''.

My car has crappy power before 4000RPMs. But the handling is near perfect. Hey you can't have everything.

And why is an M3 garbage? Because of the sound it makes at 8000RPMs with all ITBs making the engine sing? Because of the timeless looks that makes the new M3 look as boring and bland as any regular 3 series?

E46 M3 is faster than a stock STI, it's 10X more comfortabe, 10X better looking, more luxurious, has a freaking sunroof, sounds better, and I wouldn't be ashamed to go meet a client in one.

STI has great steering, shifting and the torque is fun. It grips well but you sit so high in them it feels like they are going to tip over....and the new 2008 STI are as entertaining as a Toyota Camry with shit steering feel.

2005-2007 STIs are nice, but they aern't freaking perfect.

This post is pure Jaques79 gold! I would be hard pressed finding someone else on this board more delusional than you.

atleast explain why you think the s4 and m3 are such over-glorified german pieces of shit

reliability? like someone here once said, driving a car for its reliability is like dating a chick for her punctuality...
even though m3 is very "punctual"

In all honesty, i couldn't care less about these two cars. The reason i caused a stink is because as a friend to Munchy, i keep stressing that the budget he has to spend on these two cars would cause problems in the long run. He will end up being basically jaques79 the second (buying a high performance car on a beer budget, then getting super pissed and trying to sell it when he cant afford the maintenance).

as much as i like the EVO/STI, simply calling an M3, whatever gen, or S4, whatever gen, garbage just doesn't make any sense at all no matter how biased one is against german cars

PS: how is switching from an old Boxter to a much newer one "getting pissed off and not being able to afford maintenance"?

In all honesty, i couldn't care less about these two cars. The reason i caused a stink is because as a friend to Munchy, i keep stressing that the budget he has to spend on these two cars would cause problems in the long run. He will end up being basically jaques79 the second (buying a high performance car on a beer budget, then getting super pissed and trying to sell it when he cant afford the maintenance).

None of these cars are cheap to run... I still maintain the fact the m3 is really reliable but tire budget would discourage most here. Then again most STI owners cry when they have to do the front brakes and s4 owners when the starter goes again.

BUT in the past year my buddies m3 has costed less to run than the STI. Brakes, control arms, maf sensor are all the same price if not more money than the m3 not to mention my constant fear of having the pistons disintegrate as it's been seen often (especially 07up). Great cars, mines runs faster than a gt3 around the track but don't think its cheaper to run than a m3 and it certainly doesn't feel as nice when not on the track.

The Audi b6 s4 is the perfect balance in a car you want compared to its competitors. 4wd, v8 engine rumble, classy and sporty look, nice interior, Sure, it might not compete as well in some categories as the m3 and amg benz but its such a well balanced car. The s4 can be compared to an athlete that does a triathlon. Its very good in every category but its not the best in some specific points.

pros: v8 engine rumble, 4wd, praticality (drive it 4 season), superb interior, great gearbox
cons: looks plain in stock form, gas guzzler, high -prone speeding highway ticket

The e46 m3 is an amazing car too, but its not the ideal car in bad driving conditions. The audi interior makes the interior of the m3 look outdated. I prefer the audi gearbox than the bmw m.

pros:performance, braking, "fun" feel factor , rwd, aggressive styling
cons: engine sound is metallic raspy, very jerky, dentist visits became earlier

Both cars will need maintenance to keep them in great driving conditions, if you think you can just buy the car and drive it, your illusional. reliability is about the same for both cars.

bottom line

summer car, sporty driving (all the time): m3
every day car, praticality, comfort:s4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back