Ferrari 348 rock bottom prices

Maybe that my father is unlucky, but I wouldn't say that his 964 is a cheap car to maintain, and the engine has nothing special (not high reving, no turbo, no big power, tractor sound). And the driving position isn't great. It's still nice to look at it though.

All pre 996 Porsche Carrera driving position is offset and heater systems are complicated to operate.

964 are stupid expensive now.

broody if your father has a coupe manual c2 in blue, white or slate grey and wants to sell lets talk...

broody if your father has a coupe manual c2 in blue, white or slate grey and wants to sell lets talk...

You can thank the "Yummys" for that...

The sad part is that 996s are better cars yet everyone seems to hate them (as was the case when the 964 came out)

It's AWD, red and he will keep it sorry. He winter drives it (he's only car) so it will lose some value over time but it's still cheaper than having a payment on an econobox in extra, and awd + snow = fun. The computer is broken (no traction control or ABS) and the car is not scarry to drive at all times.

But the 964 never really had a low value (like 16-18k at worst maybe). The older 911 (the 3.0 especially I think) could be had for cheaper than that.

You can thank the "Yummys" for that...

The sad part is that 996s are better cars yet everyone seems to hate them (as was the case when the 964 came out)

So 996, front end swap 997= win?

It's crazy, I just looked a few up... 20k sub 100k km.. :S

The 348 is a cool looking car no doubt but that's about it. If I'd be looking into this type of toy from that period, I'd rather get an NSX. A lot less trouble.

lol? Elle ne peut que prendre de la valeur si tu en prend soin. mieux que d'acheter une ford IMO.

Et je n'ai pas dis ''la 348 EST un investissement'' j'ai dis que ''la 348 est un 30 000$ mieux investi QUE une Hyundai/Honda de l'année''

Sérieux à lire tes postes tu connais absolument tout sur internet, tu as conduis toutes les voitures et tu connais simplement tout. Il n'y a même pas de discussion avec toi.

Je m'excuse mais ton argument fait aucun sense. Le gens n'achete pas de Honda ou Hyundai de 30K pour le mettre dans le garage et le regarder toute l'annee, p-e rouler 3 fois pour ne pas dire qu'ils ont depense l'argent pour rien. Cette Ferari, meme si elle perdra plus de valeur en tant que tel si entretenue comme il faut, va couter TRES cher a rouler en daily 20-25k km/annee comme l'acheteur ferait avec la Hyundai ou Honda de 30K. Si le membre en haut as raison, que ca prends 3$/mi pour rouler une 348 (je suppose que ca c'est appart l'essence), ca veut dire qu'a 12K miles/annee ca va couter 36 000$/annee rouler une 348. P-e c'est exagere comme cout mais quand meme.Ca prendrais aussi une auto d'hiver etc

ceux qui disent d'upgrader a une 355 c'est moins pire que la 348 mais ca reste un mechant money pit surtout avec une transmission F1. Les headers oem sont a changer au 3 ans en meme temps que le major ( pis un major tu vais pas juste les belt, faut pratiquement changer les guide de valve a chaque fois ) une 360 ca commence a etre raisonnable a environ 10 000 au 3 ans.

scheduled belt change in a 355. just sayin

4261d1149373131-328-engine-removal-engineout1.jpg

ceux qui disent d'upgrader a une 355 c'est moins pire que la 348 mais ca reste un mechant money pit surtout avec une transmission F1. Les headers oem sont a changer au 3 ans en meme temps que le major ( pis un major tu vais pas juste les belt, faut pratiquement changer les guide de valve a chaque fois ) une 360 ca commence a etre raisonnable a environ 10 000 au 3 ans.

or just drop the $$$$$ on aftermarket headers.

http://hooniverse.com/2013/10/08/true-cost-to-own-a-1993-ferrari-348-series-speciale/

"..On a per-mile basis:
•Maintenance costs – $1.71 per mile
•Operating costs – $0.62 per mile
•Miscellaneous – $0.24 per mile

… for a total cost of $2.57 per mile.

One thing I didn’t touch on in my one-year report was depreciation. But as we know, the market dropped out from under these cars in 2009, and it’s only now just starting to climb back. If I’m honest, I have to believe I’d be facing at least ~$20k in depreciation if I were to sell the car today. That would jack up my total ownership cost to $57,026, or $3.96 per mile.

But fortunately, I’m not considering selling this car today, or anytime soon for that matter. Even after six years, I still am not bored with it. The raw, visceral feel you get with a 348 means that every drive is an event, and it’s never boring. My BMW daily driver outperforms the 348 in every objective measure, but I certainly don’t get a thrill from driving it like I do from driving the Ferrari.

So my plan is to hang on the Ferrari indefinitely, fix it when it breaks, and (as they say) keep driving it like I stole it.

-Eric.."

YMMV

you're right I couldnt find a pic. But its the same thing. Engine needs to be pulled out for a lot of regular maintenance.

No it's not. The F348/F355 is comes down on the rear subframe... It's actually an easy job and doesn't take that long as all the internet "experts" proclaim. The biggest issue to worry about on F348/F355 is rust and cracks at seams. .. Want to talk about a bitch of engine out? Lambo Diablo and Countach, step one take apart entire car. Working on these cars requires patience and attention to detail. The way things are assembled and designed you would think the guys who designed/built it were drunk. There is a reason why there are only a handful of places locally that touch them.

Seriously if you're buying this car you're buying it because you want one and know the pitfalls.

No it's not. The F348/F355 is comes down on the rear subframe... It's actually an easy job and doesn't take that long as all the internet "experts" proclaim. The biggest issue to worry about on F348/F355 is rust and cracks at seams..

Seriously if you're buying this car you're buying it because you want one and know the pitfalls

Engine still has to be removed no matter the way to do it. Doing so is a bitch no matter how "easy" it is to do when you have to do it regularly, especially if you can't do it yourself and need to have it done.

Spending 10-15k a year on maintenance on a 45k car means that you could easily afford a $100k + new car. This thing is for DIE HARD Ferrari enthousiasts with fat wallets, not your average sport car buyer looking for a nice badge

Engine still has to be removed no matter the way to do it. Doing so is a bitch no matter how "easy" it is to do when you have to do it regularly, especially if you can't do it yourself and need to have it done.

Spending 10-15k a year on maintenance on a 45k car means that you could easily afford a $100k + new car. This thing is for DIE HARD Ferrari enthousiasts with fat wallets, not your average sport car buyer looking for a nice badge

I hate to break it to you but once you remove it and do the major work you don't need to touch it again for awhile if you change everything. Cheap out and well obviously youll be having issues. The same goes for Porsche, you will need to remove the engine more than a couple times during it's life. It seems like a bitch to you because you've never done it but trust me it's pretty simple. I much rather drop the engine on a Ferrari or Porsche than taking apart a dashboard. You won't be spending 10-15k a year on maintenance, I can assure you of that.

Old cars like this are for enthusiasts.. The same goes for any "old" car.

The case of a Ferrari is a bit extreme, but still, a 100k+ new car will have considerable running costs too. About 50 000$ of depreciation in a few years, 20-22 inch tires, revisions at the dealer, high insurance, etc.
But with the Ferrari, the more you use it the more it costs you, with a recent car it's not so true.

The case of a Ferrari is a bit extreme, but still, a 100k+ new car will have considerable running costs too. About 50 000$ of depreciation in a few years, 20-22 inch tires, revisions at the dealer, high insurance, etc.
But with the Ferrari, the more you use it the more it costs you, with a recent car it's not so true.

I hate to break it to you but once you remove it and do the major work you don't need to touch it again for awhile if you change everything. The same goes for Porsche, you will need to remove the engine a couple times during it's life. It seems like a bitch to you because you've never done it but trust me it's pretty simple. I much rather drop the engine on a Ferrari or Porsche than taking apart a dashboard. You won't be spending 10-15k a year on maintenance, I can assure you of that.

Old cars like this are for enthusiasts..

It's pretty simple but it will cost 8-10k in a shop (for an air cooled Porsche). On a 15-30k$ car, that's a lot of money. My father did an engine overhaul on the 964 (around 10k$), and he was OK with that since he makes fairly good money and he likes the car, but it's not something you want to happen more than once during your ownership. And I still find that the engine smells oil when I push it hard (the overhaul was done 2 years ago I think).

Back