OFFICIAL- getting into the sport- but too lazy to read all the threads

Thirty, Shardik has pointed you in the right direction for sure. He has the right answers for you.

In addition to that, if you decide to drop by our shop, you will find proper SA helmets costing less than M helmets- so why bother.

Yes , other forms of preotection are recommended- but not required. I will take the time to explain when you drop by.

Cheers! and welcome!

Hi Carl

My suggestion for an M helmet has nothing to do with price, and everything to do with current standards used in major clubs. I clearly explained in my first reply what type of helmet to use if the car was plain (full interior), or if it was gutted. The only answer I received from David was "fire protection". Which is not a valid argument unless one wears a full Nomex suit at the same time.

David doesn't seem to understand that the reason for wearing an SA helmet over an M helmet in a car has nothing to do with fire protection (just wear a balaclava then). The M helmet is made for a single impact (head of the biker hitting the ground) while the SA helmet is designed to sustain multiple impact, siuch as the when hitting the rollcage or exposed structure of the car. That's the main purpose of an SA helmet, and I have clearly explained the OP that if the car was gutted and/or had a rollcage, then an SA helmet was required. I have no clue what has triggered his David's when all was clearly explained. Also, if a dude with only a few years of track experience wants to educate me (20 years experience, and I am all ear to good arguments), that dude better have good arguments. And clear ones. None of them could be found here. On the other hand, if it is nothing more than another pissing contest, well, I have no interest there. I'll let David drink his own KoolAid. ;-)

Hi Lee,

Is this really the best you can do...pissing contest ?
You really don't know me at all.

Kevin covered this already :
There will be a sticker on the inside of the helmet, behind the padding on some helments. It should be easily visable.

The sticker will be either Brown (M Certification), Orange (SA certification) or Blue (K Certification), along with type and Year... EG: SA2010, SA2005, M2005, M2010, etc.

SA is designed for mutliple impacts; and is recommended if you are driving inside an automotible. A motorcycle helmet is designed for 1 impact, with the premise being; you only will fall off the bike once.

When strapped inside of a car you can hit your head multiple times. If you drive a vehicle with a roll cage; you MUST use a Snell SA helmet for that reason.

I brought in some more information, which I think is valuable.
In all cases, a helmet with fire protection is better than one with not in a track car, no ?
And what happens when a student goes in for a ride along in a prepared car ?

You have a lot of experiance, that's good and we can and will learn from you.
(I have already learned quite a bit from your brake threads on bf.)

But seriously, recommending a motorcycle helmet for someone preparing a track car..........c'mon.

Thanks again everyone for the great responses. I will be stopping by for a helmet when I am ready Carl.

Cheers- Mark

New to the sport and looking to get a good base

Hi guys,
I've been a lurker for awhile, first time poster, so please be gentle :)

I'm very new to the sport and looking to take an advanced driving class and was wondering what you'd recommend between the following schools. I'm looking for quality instruction and I've narrowed my choices the the following 3:

Jim Russel Performance Driving (1 Day)
http://www.jimrussell.com/en/schedules.cfm?cId=4
A great school but not much info on the web for the 1 Day class. Best price compared to the other two.

Mecaglisse 1 Day Stage « Adrénaline »
http://www.mecaglisse.com/tarifs-forfaits-adrenaline-ecole-de-pilotage.php
I had a few recommendations for this one. A forgiving track compared to the Mont Trembant track. Also, they have good info available on the web. Price is almost double Jim Russel.

iCar 1 Day HAUTE PERFORMANCE 1 JOURNÉE
http://www.circuiticar.com/academie/33-forfait-haute-performance-1-journee.html
Good info available on the web, but no one has anything to say about it. Most expensive choice.

Thank guys, much appreciated and maybe you'll see (or be passing) this newbie in the near future. :D

Wouldn't recommend any of those...

Look at AISA schools or BMW HPDE's for a more complete curriculum.

I wish to make a correction. Mecaglisse is not a forgiving track. It is slower in overall speed, but it is also narrower and the sand creates variable grip from lap to lap when it is windy. I don't consider it dangerous, but it is definitely not more forgiving than Tremblant

make sure you sign up soon.

The school is almost sold out for the St Eustache date, and pretty full for the Calabogie date!

Looking for lapping lessons

Hi.

I'm looking to do more lapping/performance lessons.

Last year I did the mercedes benz performance class. I'm looking for something more.

I called Icar and they quoted me 1.1k+tx for a full day with a private teacher, driving my own car (c63 amg). Kinda sucks to give away 1.3k with taxes when the teacher will probably get only 300-350$ of it.

Any advices?

Hi.

I'm looking to do more lapping/performance lessons.

Last year I did the mercedes benz performance class. I'm looking for something more.

I called Icar and they quoted me 1.1k+tx for a full day with a private teacher, driving my own car (c63 amg). Kinda sucks to give away 1.3k with taxes when the teacher will probably get only 300-350$ of it.

Any advices?

Best bang for the buck ...
http://montrealracing.com/forums/showthread.php?830313-AISA-Driving-Race-Academy-2013-(ASE-amp-CMP)

Simon,

It was a pleasure speaking with you. Please read this post for the info on the AISA Academy. http://montrealracing.com/forums/showthread.php?830313-AISA-Driving-Race-Academy-2013-(ASE-amp-CMP)

It's a 2.5 day school, with instructors. You might not ride with an instructor the entire time, and you will certainly have different instructors with different point of views. You will learn a lot, and most of all... you will have FUN!!

The other option is the Monday Night Lapping. The information is not as advanced, but it is perfect for people who want to get into driving their cars on a track, without the large cost of a 'driving or racing school'.

If you have any more questions: email kevin@perryautolaval.com

+1 for AISA (how can people write +1000 without proof of the 999 other people backing this?)

Also you can sign up with BMW Clubs, Porsche Clubs... they also have experienced instructors with you at all times on track.

Back